I wrote this post a while ago on the NAM forums but want to share it with my MINI Cooper readers, just in case.
So, long story short after getting the newest LED DRLs installed at my MINI dealership they had to replace my whole radio since the brakes coding went a wry and fried the radio, etc etc. After hearing that there was indeed a proper code upgrade from MINI, i realized my previous NCSExpert setup using a virtual machine XP in Windows 7 was probably not going to work since i needed newer datens and also was sick of the VM solution.
After much digging, i found a newer client of NCSExpert that runs on Windows 7/8/8.1 32bit and 64bit and also new datens that work with my just updated coupe (as of March 12, 2015)! ie I have been able to recode all of my settings back along with VIM (which I'll add notes about too! not many details out there at times).
##I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY THING THAT MAY GO WRONG##
So Installation of the new NCSExpert and daten files if needed. This was done on my Surface Pro 2 running Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit Edition. My user account is a local administrator and i have also disabled User Access Control (UAC); all recommended pre-steps!
Below are two links:
1. This is the original redo that comasynthesis put together from this thread http://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/electrical/208843-the-complete-ncs-expert-diy.html
My dropbox zip of comasynthesis' ncsexpert installer here:
2. This is an updated v53.0.5 datens file and a windows batch file to copy the files over to proper folders.
Daten v53.05 for R56/R58/R60 (maybe more)
Quick Installation Notes:
1. Plugin and setup your OBD cable and set the com port to com1 via Device Manager > Com ports > listed com port (In Windows)
2. In the downloaded zip from above, right-click on the "Standard_Tools_Setup_2.12.exe" and change compatibility for Windows XP and also to "Run program as Administrator".
3. Run the Standard_Tools_Setup_2.12.exe and just go with the default settings. Select: USB:OBD when asked for cable type. DO NOT check the USB Drive option, it seems like you should be don't. Also remember the com port you chose, i use COM1 and then change my cable setting to match in device manager. Just finish this installer and then when done, reboot your computer.
4. After rebooting, go back to the folder we extracted the main ncsexpert files from and then run the UpdateNCS.bat. Be sure you have not ran NCSExpert or have EDBIAS.exe running in the background. Once you finish, you may be able to be off and running. If you get an error about "invalid for #FA" messages but your VIN populates, you probably need to update your datens. This is where our second download/zip comes into play.
5. Extract the zip with folder structures in place. I have created a windows batch file to copy the files to the appropriate folders. Again, be sure that NCSExpert is not open or running, i would recommend rebooting before running the UpdateDatens-v5305.cmd.
6. Finally, hopefully we have an NCSExpert that runs without VMware or virtual machine. I also recommend changing all of the programs to "Run as Administrator" by right-clicking on Shortcut and go to Properties > Compatibility > "Run program as administrator". Windows 7 and 8 don't grant full access to all system files/folders even as an administrator but this setting overrides any hidden options (i do app deployment for a living and deal w/this a lot when i package apps).
VIM notes will come later this week. The old notes work just fine however the settings are in the CHAMP module vs CIC (which we don't have).
My list of mods i did up today:
Remove Startup Legal Screen from Connected / Nav
Video in Motion - see guide!!! CHAMP module!
Close Windows & Sunroof w/ Lock on Keyfob
Unlock Doors When Key Is Removed
Holding Fob Trunk Button Sounds Panic Alarm*** Works only on models w/ Alarm Package!
Disable Key Gong / Door Open Reminder
Disable Passenger Seatbelt Warning
Double-Blink / Fast Blink on Hazard Flashers